Monday, April 19, 2010

Pumpkin Bread

I have a list of recipes from Alex Goh's books that I intend to try out. This is one of them. I made pumpkin bread using my Kenwood mixer but it stops turning a few times during kneading and after almost twenty minutes, the dough is still not smooth but sticky! So I switch to my bread machine. Took out the dough and put everything in the bread machine and let the machine do all the kneading! Within minutes, the dough looks all smooth and round. (the next time, I'm gonna let the bread machine do all the kneading! I use the Kenwood mixer earlier because it is already on my kitchen counter whereas the bread machine is kept in my little 'store' corner and I was lazy to take it out!). The bread machine even proof the dough beautifully. The next step is to remove the dough, shape it and let it rise again in the baking pan. Egg wash the surface and the bread is ready for baking.


The dough rose beautifully in the bread machine. Time to remove and shape it.


Cover with cling film and leave it to rise about 45 minutes


After about 1 hour


Egg wash top of bread, sprinkle with extra pumpkin seeds and ready for the oven.


Freshly baked pumpkin bread!


Yum, really good with black coffee!


The texture of this bread is soft although it is not as fluffy as the ones in the bakery (I bet they use dough softener!), it is good enough for me and it goes well with black coffee. Try this healthy bread, full of fiber and the colour is beautiful without adding any colourings at all. When you buy the pumpkin, choose one that is dark orange in colour. Here's the recipe. Happy baking!

Pumpkin Bread
(adapted from "Magic Bread" by Alex Goh)
Ingredients A
100gm bread flour
85gm boiling water

Ingredients B
400gm bread flour
40gm sugar
1 tsp salt
15gm milk powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
8gm instant yeast

Ingredient C
120gm pumpkin (cooked and mashed)

Ingredient D
150gm cold water

Ingredient E
60gm butter

Ingredient F
80gm pumpkin seeds

Method :
  1. Add the boiling water from A into flour, mix until well blended to form dough. Cover and set aside to cool. Keep it into refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
  2. Mix B until well blended. Add in C and D, knead to form rough dough. Add in A and knead until well blended.
  3. Add in E, mix to form a smooth and elastic dough. Add in F, mix until well combined.
  4. Cover it and let it proof for 40 minutes.
  5. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and mould it round. Place 6 pieces of dough into a 24 x 13 x 7cm pan. Makes 2 loafs. Let it proof for 45 minutes or until double its size.
  6. Egg wash the surface and sprinkle some pumpkin seeds on top. Bake at 180C for 30 minutes.
(my notes : brush top of bread with melted butter immediately after baking for a shining and glossy finish)

5 comments:

  1. if my pumpkin plants grow and bear fruits, i will give you one and you bake this bread for me!! wooohoooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to your sweet pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pumpking bread! Yours look perfectly baked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. too much work la..wait for u to bake for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angie, thanks for your kind comment.

    What's Baking, just say when!

    ReplyDelete