Thursday, April 4, 2013

Deep Chocolate Pound Cake : Free and Easy Bake-Along #42

Bake-Along #42, Deep Chocolate Pound Cake, is chosen by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids. Zoe will be posting her bake sometime next week, so be sure to stop by Zoe's, when she comes back.

This is a simple cake, a slice or two is great for afternoon tea-time snack. 


Baked in a loaf pan, with the signature crack on top, of a pound cake.


The few changes I made was, to substitute the sour cream with homemade yoghurt, used coffee chips instead of chocolate chips, and reduced the sugar slightly to 1/2 cup, since the cake contains honey as well. The changes worked out well, with a light coffee fragrance, and the sweetness is just right. But as with previous cakes baked with honey, I find the honey a little too strong, maybe because I do not really like honey in cakes. 


The texture is moist and soft with tender crumbs, and would be even better if the chocolate taste is more intense, but overall, this is a nice and simple chocolate cake.


A slice or two is great with a cup of hot black coffee.


Please visit my baking buddies, Lena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, and all our friends who has baked along with us in the linky below :

Our next bake is based on a theme,  Theme : Tres Leches Cake.   The linky will start on 22nd April right up to 1st May. Do join us, everyone's welcome.


Photobucket


A friendly reminder when linking to our blog hop :
1. Please mention Bake-Along event in your own post linking direct to any of the hosts' post (JoyceLena or Zoe)
2. Please link only new and current post, related to the current bake or theme provided by us. Unrelated post will be deleted.
3. Feel free to display our Bake-Along badge in your post.




Deep Chocolate Pound Cake
(source from : Bon Appetit Dessert Cookbook, Barbara Fairchild)
2-1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream (I use homemade yoghurt)
1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons boiling water
3/4 cup sugar (I use 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

  1. Position rack in center of oven, preheat to 350F. Butter and flour 9x5x3-inch metal loaf pan; tap out excess flour.
  2. Whisk flour, baking powder, coarse salt, and baking soda in medium bowl. Whisk sour cream and milk in small bowl.
  3. Sift cocoa into another small bowl. Whisk in honey and 2 tablespoons boiling water until smooth. Cool completely.
  4. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in another medium bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl. Beat in vanilla. Add cooled cocoa mixture; stir until smooth, occasionally scrapping down bowl. Beat in flour mixture alternately with sour cream mixture in 2 additions each until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
  5. Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 8 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool.
#30/100


To join our blog hop : click on the link below
get the InLinkz code

27 comments:

  1. What a glorious loaf! I've never tried coffee chips, but they'd be perfect in a chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so soft and good with a cup of kopi-C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce,
    Have just went over to have a piece of Lena's chocolate cake..:p
    i like the signature crack on top of your cake. Looks so pretty.
    This chocolate cake is good with a cuppa warm tea :D
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, coffee was great in cookies, so I bet they're great in this pound cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce, got coffee chips one ah? Can show me the picture next time? Thanks! I love this chocolate pound cake & I guess that Zoe chose it for her son, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessie,
      The coffee chips looks exactly like the chocolate chips, just that they are coffee flavoured. Yes, kids would love this pound cake, especially if sprinkled with more choc chips over the top, like Lena did!

      Delete
  6. Looks very tempting. I guess I will be seeing lots of chocolate pound cake coming along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was careful when i added that honey in my first attempt, i put in around 3 tbsp..and still find that the honey taste is a little heavy for me. But reduced to 1 tbsp the 2nd time. Should have called this honey chocolate pound cake, hor?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i din knw tat there were coffee chips... interesting...but it wld hv made it a great combi with this choc pound cake.. hmmm, ok, i will try to reduce my honey wen i bake one:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyce, this looks good! Chocolate cake is always very laku in my house. If I have time, I will bake this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce yours looks moist for me. Please pass me a slice, mine was all gone in one day! slurp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cake looks so spongy and yummy !!
    Perfectly baked :)
    love the colour of the cake as well !!
    ShrutiRasoi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joyce, another lovely loaf from you....I like this cake very much and so does my boys:D

    ReplyDelete
  13. It rose well and texture looks perfect. Thumbs up to Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  14. who can resist the chocolate pound cake!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cake looks great! I tried round 2 and it was still damp. Will do one more time this weekend (as my kids keep asking for it!) and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, Joyce, I didn't know that the "cracking" is a signature for pound cake. Thanks for enlightened me :)

    Lena used chocolate chips and you used coffee chips, interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joyce,
    This cake looks FAB. Will try and bake this! I think I will love the texture of the crumb!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning and super tempting cake, looks simply beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  19. Joyce , I need that coffee chips :D That chocolate pound cake looks delish ! Lovely moist texture and awesome flavor for sure ! .... I think you should try clover honey , it has a light and neutral flavor that is good for baking - haven't tried it yet but planning to buy it next time ;D

    ReplyDelete
  20. A very moist and rich pound cake, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  21. YUM! Such a soft & moist chocolatey cake ! Great tea or coffee time treat! Would love to have a slice now! :p

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a simple and delicious chocolate pound cake! I'd love a slice with tea in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eileen, Hundred Eighty DegreesFriday, April 05, 2013

    I don't mind eating honey by itself but I am not in favour of the addition in cake. I will try if I can find time to bake. Yours look good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Joyce,

    I'm back. Totally agree that the chocolate flavour of this cake is not intense enough. Saw the reviews at Epicurious but still curious to try.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete