Friday, May 31, 2013

Stir-Fried Crispy Mushrooms with Oats

Little Thumbs Up : Baking and Cooking event, selected ingredient for the month of May is "MUSHROOMS"


Little Thumbs Up, is an event organized by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids and Doreen from my little favourite D.I.Y. , where an ingredient is selected each month and everyone is welcome to join in by using the selected ingredient either in your bakes or in your cooking pot. I am the host for this month, and my selected ingredient is "MUSHROOMS". Please do join us, cook or bake any recipes using Mushrooms as one of its ingredient, post it in your blog within this month, (only new and current posts), and link to Little Thumbs Up, in the thumbnail linky which is provided at the bottom of this post. To find out more details on Little Thumbs Up, please click here.

While this month's theme is MAY : MUSHROOMS, the selected ingredient for June is Curry Powder or Paste and will be hosted by Everybody Eats Well In Flanders. Cook  or bake any of your favourite curry dish, and link that up in June which shall start on 4th June.

**********************************

Today is the last day of submission for Mushroom Theme at Little Thumbs Up, hosted by me. I would like to thank each and every one of you lovely ladies and guy (Alvin, the thorn among the lovely roses! wink!) who has baked or cooked with me this month. Each and every dish submitted looks really scrumptious! May is a month of "Mushroom Overload"! From your kitchen, to your dining table, and in the most delicious way. I really appreciate you're taking your time and effort to join me in this month's theme. There's already 96 submissions so far! Thank you friends! And thank you too, to everyone who has visited and "feasted" on the visual links, and for taking your time to visit and leave your valuable comments.
Well, the link will stay open until 12.00 midnight today, so you still have some time to share your Mushrooms yummies.

The next theme "Curry Powder or Paste" will start on 4th June. So get some curry aroma going in your kitchen, and link that up with the next host, Everybody Eats Well In Flanders.



Mushroom For Today : Abalone Mushroom

Abalone Mushrooms, also known as King Mushrooms, have a concentrated protein and carbohydrate content as well as a large proportion of dietary fiber. These mushrooms have medicinal qualities including antioxidant properties, anti-inflammatory agents and tumor inhibiting qualities. Their subtle flavour is best when not overcooked, however it shouldn't be considered edible when raw.


I'm sharing today, my last submission for this month's Little Thumbs Up, "Stir-Fried Crispy Mushrooms with Oats"

The photo may not look very nice, fried brown food are not the best "model"! They look rather bland and boring! Yup, yup, blame it on the food, not the person with the camera! LOL! Seriously, it may not look very nice, but it is delicious!

The Abalone mushrooms are first cut into three or four pieces, depending on the size of the mushrooms. They are dipped in a batter, which is made up of all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and water, and fry on both sides until golden brown and crispy. At this stage, a few crispy mushrooms will disappear! Haha! Delicious eaten minutes after frying, so crispy and yummy!

To stir-fry the crispy mushrooms, melt some butter, fry some fresh curry leaves until fragrant, recipe calls for bird's eye chillies, but I have omitted that as my kids are eating this. Add the oats and the rest of the seasoning, stir-fry till well blended, add in the crispy mushrooms, stir-fry until the oats are crispy. Serve immediately. 


By dinner time, some half an hour later, I noticed some pieces have gone missing! It's my hubby and daughter, guilty as charged! Haha! During dinner, hubby even asked me how I cooked this dish, yes, he loves this mushroom dish a lot! This is quite addictive, you would find yourself reaching out for the next piece! And I enjoy eating the oats too, they are crunchy and fragrant!  Give it a try, a definite thumbs up!


I'm linking this post to Little Thumbs Up event, hosted by Joyce, kitchen flavours, organized by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids and Doreen for my little favourite D.I.Y.


Little Thumbs Up


To join us, simply bake or cook any recipes using the ingredient for this month MUSHROOM.  Submit your post by linking to the thumbnail linky provided at the bottom of this post. 

  • Your submission must be a current and new post.
  • Mention Little Thumbs Up in your post, and submit your post to the thumbnail linky to the host of this month, Joyce from kitchen flavours, and link to Bake For Happy Kids, and my little favourite D.I.Y
  • Feel free to display Little Thumbs Up badge in your post.
  • Last date of linking will be on 31st May 2013.


I've used about 200gm of Abalone Mushrooms for this dish, and makes quite a lot. I have made some changes to the recipe and here I have given my version, to follow the original recipe, please click on the link below.

Stir-Fried Crispy Mushrooms with Oats
(source from kuali.com, with changes)
200gm Abalone Mushrooms
2 sprig curry leaves
6 tbsps rolled oats
2 tbsp butter

Batter :
1 generous cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup water

Seasoning :
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp chicken stock powder
1 tsp sugar

Method :
Clean mushrooms and slice to three or four pieces, depending on the size of the mushrooms. Keep aside.
Combine batter ingredients well in a mixing bowl. If there are lumps, use a hand whisk to whisk until batter is free from lumps.
Heat oil, enough for frying. Dip mushroom pieces in batter and fry in the hot oil until golden brown on both sides. Dish out and drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
Heat butter in clean wok until melted. Stir-fry curry leaves until fragrant. Add oats and seasoning. Stir-fry briskly, then add the crispy mushrooms.
Toss and fry over high heat until oats are crispy.
Dish out and serve immediately.
Enjoy!



12 comments:

  1. Joyce, it looks great and I wish I had a sample! This is mushroom love, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very simple and delicious looking mushroom preparation.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those mushrooms look so good! They would disappear quickly at my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heeheehee, i think i will eat it during the time i fry it as well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting dish , Joyce ! Just love the curry flavor . It looks very appetizing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to miss May coming to an end along with your delicious mushroom recipes. This one is unusual, but I'm certain I'd be a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, this reminds me of the cereal prawns... love mushrooms and I think this would be just as delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce, this is definitely something I would love to try next! But judging from how much beer battered mushrooms I ate with wild abandon, these crispy mushrooms won't make it to the stir fry part hah! hah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds good, joyce..hahaha....you are certainly not a bad photographer! anyway, they dont look boring to me.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce, congratulations for having a perfect 100 mushroom dishes, what a big success!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joyce,

    There is 100 mushroom links in your Little Thumbs Up event!!! You are a cooking star!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  12. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comThursday, June 06, 2013

    I love mushrooms but missed out on this project. Just chance upon your beautiful blog via My Little Favourite DIY. Hope to participate in your future projects. :)

    ReplyDelete