Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Peas with Eggs and Chourico

It's "January Potluck" at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). For this potluck week, we are given the choice to cook from any of our featured chefs' recipes. I have chosen to cook from Tessa Kiros for this week, a simple and delicious egg dish that I had for lunch.




There are only a few ingredients, green peas, chorizo sausage, garlic, onion, chopped parsley and egg. Really easy and quick to make, takes less than 30 minutes!

This dish may look very simple, but it is delicious! Firstly the onions are sauteed until brown and sticky, then the chorizo sausage, garlic and parsely are added in, stir for a couple of minutes until "it looks good", that's what Tessa Kiros says, well, I was wondering about that, but you will know it when it looks good, cause it WILL look good, and smells good too (the chorizo sausage!). The garlic clove is removed at this point, you may keep it aside to eat later. Peas are added in and season with some salt. Some water is added in, though I have used a lesser amount of water, and not the entire 1/2 cup (I made half a recipe for one serving). The peas are left to simmer for about 10 minutes until cooked but still have that nice bright green colour. By now the dish would have become almost dry, but still with a little moist to it. Make a space in the centre of the pan, pushing the peas to the side, and crack in an egg. Cover and let the egg cook, until the whites are set and the yolks are still soft. Serve with some sprinkling of sweet paprika over.


Lunch is ready! The peas are nice and tasty, they have absorbed the flavours from the chorizo sausages and the caramelized onions after the 10 minutes of braising. The chorizo sausage, of course is good! My daughter, who does not like green peas, finished half of what's on the plate!



The egg is yummy, with the white just set and the yolk runny, and with some sprinkling of sweet paprika, so good. I had this with some fried rice actually, and it goes really well with the rice. This dish would make a lovely one dish lunch.


Peas with Eggs and Chourico
(adapted from "Piri Piri Starfish", Tessa Kiros)
Serves 2
50gm (1-3/4 oz) chorico sausage
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and squashed a bit
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
400gm (14 oz) peas, fresh or thawed frozen
2 eggs
a little ground sweet paprika

Cut the chourico into thin slices (removing the casing if it seems thick), then in half and even into quarters (depending on its original size). Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and saute the onion until it is golden and sticky. Add the chourico, garlic clove and parsley and saute for a few minutes until it looks good, then add the peas and season well.
Mix together so the flavours meld and add a cup of hot water. Simmer over high heat for about 10 minutes, until the peas are soft but still bright green and have just about drunk up all the water. Remove the garlic.
Make two spaces in the peas with a wooden spoon towards the edge, big enough to fit an egg each. Crack the eggs into the holes, sprinkle with a little coarse salt and put a lid on the pan. Cook until there is a thin, pale film over the eggs and the whites are just set with the yolks quite soft. Serve at once with a sprinkling of paprika and pepper if you like.
CB5/14

To view what my friends are cooking up for our January Potluck, please do drop by I Heart Cooking Clubs.




18 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce,

    This fast and easy egg dish looks fantastic... The flowy egg yolk makes me feeling so hungry :p Strangely, I find the garlic clove at the corner of your dish looks kind of out of place. I wonder why Tessa Kiros didn't mince it up to incorporate into the peas and sausages :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe,
      Haha, I did thought of chopping the garlic and mix it in, but maybe the star of the flavours are the caramelized onions, and the garlic might overpower it a little. The next time when I cook this again, I will add more onions! Very yummy dish!

      Delete
  2. Simple to make and wonderful to look at. A very good way to make eggs. Have never tried any of Tessa Kiros recipes. It's time to rectify that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce , egg and chorizo is one of my fave breakfast combo :D The dish looks simple yet very appetizing ! The whole garlic at the side makes me grin , sorry !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne,
      You make me smile! Zoe says the garlic looks kinda out of place, and it makes you grin. The thing is, the photo in the book has the garlic at that very spot! Haha, I thought it was a nice touch. It seems kinda funny though. Now I will grin whenever I cook this dish! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm with Anne, Joyce, I like the garlic as a garnish:)

    I have been thinking about adding lunch to my daily meals. As of now I only eat a late breakfast and a late dinner. I think if I ate lunch I wouldn't be so hungry come dinner time and I wouldn't stuff my belly, lol...Your lunch looks lovely. I would never think to cook up such a delicious combination. Now, I wish I could taste it for breakfast, lol...

    Thank you so much for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Egg and chorizo.... that sounds like a winner! Your egg is beautifully done, says the egg monsta ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce , HMmmmmmmm, got my plate in hand , pass me some please , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, this looks simple and nice especially pair with rice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a huge fan of peas, but runny egg yolk makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chorizo with peas and a runny egg yolk sounds like a delicious combination!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum ... that egg looks perfectly cooked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Runny egg yolks just make me happy--this looks delicious. Makes me want to pull out my Tessa books again. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a good looking dish. Love runny yolksl

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm totally captivated by this dish, Joyce - it looks absolutely wonderful. I think I might even duck out and get a chorizo sausage this afternoon so that I can have this for dinner tonight. I'm already salivating.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what an aesthetically appealing plate!

    ReplyDelete