Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Rich and Creamy Ginger Scones

This month's selected recipe at Rose's Bread Bible Bakers, is Rich and Creamy Ginger Scones. Rose's Bread Bible Bakers is a group of bloggers who are currently baking from Rose Levy Beranbaum's book, The Bread Bible.

I've made half a recipe as I do not want to freeze any leftovers, there's no space in my freezer! And since I've made only half a recipe, I've mixed the dough by hand method. Rose has provided both methods of using the Food Processor Method and Hand Method. These scones are easy to make and did not take up much time at all. There's ground ginger and diced crystallized ginger in the dough.

One of the ingredients used is whipping cream, which is whipped just until soft peaks. But according to Rose's Pointer For Success at the end of the recipe, these scones will just be as delicious without whipping the cream. So I took the easy way out and did not whip the cream, that makes me smile as there will be no extra bowl and beater to wash! Ha! 



The dough is very sticky and with some sprinkling of flour on the work surface and a light dusting over the dough helps in handling the dough better. Shape into a 6" round, about 3/4" thick, and freeze for 15 minutes. Cut the firm dough into 6 or 8 wedges, brush the top with some whipping cream and sprinkle with some turbinado sugar. I did not have any turbinado sugar, so I have used what I have, demerara sugar. The oven is preheated with a baking stone placed on the middle rack. I do not have any baking stone, so I have used an upturned baking tray. Place the scones on greased baking tray, and place the baking tray on the preheated upturned baking tray in the oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the edges are browned and the tops are golden brown. Mine was done at 17 minutes. 



Cool to room temperature though these are so, so good when eaten while still warm. 



These scones are light and delicate, just as Rose described. They are tender, buttery and delicious! I love the crystallized ginger. These are so perfect with a cup of hot tea! Love these scones!

Up next in December, we will be baking "Levy's" Real Jewish Rye Bread, pg 324.

I'm also linking this post with Cookbook Countdown Specials : Bake


2 comments: